Talking to Indiatoday.in, Shweta Purandare, Secretary General, ASCI said, “What is rampant in the education sector are the numerical claims which these institutes make all over India. They also promise jobs and 100 per cent claims, which cannot be substantiated.”
- Emami Limited Its advertisement claimed long lasting fairness. After the complaint, Emami has included a disclaimer. Henceforth, the line “Long Lasting Fairness” would have a disclaimer “on regular usage”, the company said.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd Its advertisement of Dove Hair Fall Rescue Shampoo with Nutrilock Actives was found to be misleading because ‘the consumer will believe Dove will also reduce natural hair fall’.
- Johnson & Johnson An advertisement claims it has been making clinically proven mild products for more than 100 years.
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd For an ad that claims 10x more skin care moisturizers.
- Marico Ltd‘s advertisement claims the product controls hair fall in 90 days.
- Bharti Airtel Ltd Its 4G advertisement’s language and the hold duration of the super in the advertisement was not as per the ASCI guidelines.
- Vodafone India Allegedly for its advertisement that claims ‘World’s largest 4G network, now in Kochi’. However, in its reply, Vodafone India stated, “The case raised by ASCI has been dismissed and our claim has been upheld. The CCC concluded that the claim “The World’s Largest 4G Network”, was substantiated.
- Pan Parag For its advertisement showing actor Sachin Khedekar promoting the product. ASCI felt that the celebrity in the advertisement would have a significant influence on minors.
- ITC Ltd Its ad for Sunfeast Cookies shows a mother and daughter playing on a zebra crossing. It encourages, without justifiable reason, an unsafe practice and disregard for safety.
- Hathway Cable For its advertisement which claims 10 times faster (speeds).
Brand experts admit that advertisers use all kind of gimmicks to sell their products, but also feel that as a regulator, ASCI lacks teeth to enforce rules.
Shailendra Singh, brand expert and joint MD of Percept Profile said, “ASCI can create obstacles (for the violators), awareness and much more, but it cannot stop it from happening.”